Friday, November 4, 2011

Bridesmaids: Movie Review


So here I am with another movie review. Believe it or not I'm talking about a chick flick this time around. I don't see a lot of chick flicks, so this is a little weird, a little strange to talk about. Then again, maybe not. I actually really enjoyed how this came out!

I sometimes enjoy watching former Saturday Night Live cast members transition from the small screen to the big screen. Honestly, at this point, the only another person I can think of Will Ferrell. I know there are knows, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd. That's all at the time, for now!

Anyway, Bridesmaids was really a lot of fun and the comedic scenarios were well placed, and who doesn't enjoy "Hold On" by Wilson Phillips? Tell me, who doesn't?

What I really enjoyed about this movie is that while it is a chick flick, the story really focuses on the relationship between Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph's characters. Their moments together on screen brought forth some of the movie's best comedic and introspective moments. Since the movie really directs most of its attention on Annie (Wiig), we see a lot of moments where she really reveals what her character is experiencing and what she hopes to achieve. While marriage may be one of the central themes in the movie, it is over shadowed by the friendship and romance angles that that bring out the laughs and heart felt moments.

I mean, really, I laughed pretty hard during the bathroom scene at the wedding dress store. I'm sure this place is called some thing else, but I don't know what it is and don't really care to find out. Just so you know. Ha!

What I really want to point out is that there are two things that stood out for me while watching this film. One is a universal point that everyone will agree on, and the other is personal. Okay, Megan played by Melissa McCarthy, was just a hilarious tour-de-force! She pretty much stole the show with her in your face, say anything and hold nothing back attitude. She reminds me of that friend that we all have that just behaves and acts according to how they feel. The only way I can describe the character of Megan is by associating her to Seth Rogen's character in Knocked Up. I think the moment that really brought her character out for me was the scene at the Brazilian restaurant, where she starts describing the Fight Club theme bridal shower.

When McCarthy's character started talking about beating the shit out of Rudolph's character, I just fell over and laughed. You just knew that one of them would have the over-the-top idea, and you knew it would be her, but had no idea what she would say. And, BAM! She drops it in like a plate of nicely cooked meat. Just lays it out there for everyone else to pick on and enjoy, and I took it and ran, ha! The other point is a little more personal and it has to do with Kristen Wiig's character.

You could say that I have a soft spot for Kristen Wiig here, like I did in Paul

I enjoyed Annie as a character and there were moments where I could almost see someone that resembled her. I think we all can, right? I loved her drunken, high on medication performance on the plane. But, what I loved the most about her was the car she drove. A Toyota Corolla, an AE86 for God's sake! She is my dream, both her and the car! Well, I actually prefer the three door hatchback model, but man, that was an 86! And, it was an old car but it could still roll and burn rubber with the best of them! I cringed when her car got hit from behind. I felt Annie's pain when her car bit the dust temporally. It like the sadness I felt when Takumi's 86 broke down. Those who know me well enough will know what I'm referencing. That car, especially the hatchback model, holds a very special place in my heart.

Not related to the 86, but I felt sad when Annie started crying while watching Cast Away. I liked that one too, and felt sad and heartache when Wilson floated away.

What made this movie work, I think, is a great story which was written in part by Wiig, but also having Judd Apatow as producer. Some of the female bonding humor that worked in this movie can be found in Apatow's other work like Step Brothers, Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Superbad just to name a few.

In the end, Bridesmaids was a fun flick, just under two hours, filled with great comedic moments and fond memories of long-time friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment